Taster Sessions are a way to help students get thinking about what subject they'd like to study at university before they attend open days. Find out more about Taster Sessions available to students at City University of London.
So, you have decided that you want to study at university and maybe have a subject or two in mind, but before you make any commitments you want to be sure that it’s the right move for you. Our Taster Sessions, here at City, University of London help you do exactly that. Designed for students in Year 12/Lower Sixth and spanning across 26 subject areas, it’s the perfect time to get a better flavour of specific courses before you start attending Open Days in the summer.
What are the aims of a Taster Session?
University will differ to how you’ve previously experienced education, from the styles of teaching to the size of the institution. Taster Sessions aim to do the following:
- Experience a typical class in your chosen subject to find out what the course is really like
- Show how life on a university campus is different and what is available to you
- Have a chance to speak to the course academics and current students experiencing the same teaching first hand
What a Taster Session at City, University of London may look like
Each session allows you to spend half a day on campus. You’ll start by arriving on campus and receive a welcome talk from your subject faculty which can include an overview of the course we offer at City. You might then receive either a mock lecture or practical workshop lead by our academic staff which will introduce you to degree-level study. All sessions will also include a tour of our campus, visiting key spots showing you the type of facilities universities have to offer. Throughout the entire day Taster Sessions are supported by our Student Ambassadors. Some courses might include a specific Q&A session with them on studying the course, but even if not, they’ll always be on hand to answer any questions you have.
Make a day of it
Situated in the heart of London our main campus resides in Clerkenwell, Islington near to Angel, Farringdon and Barbican tubes stations. A bustling yet relaxed area full of restaurants, cafes and culture with excellent links to both London’s West and East Ends. It’s easy to catch a show and visit the British Museum or wonder along Brick Lane’s famous markets. With the other half of your day, take a walk around and get to know the area that surrounds a university. While friends and family are welcome to arrive to campus with you, they won’t be able to join you in the sessions. A trip around the local area is a perfect way for them to pass the time.
Why should you attend a Taster Session?
- Ultimately, by going to a Taster Session, you will be able to make a more informed decision on what and where you want to study. However, the benefits go beyond helping you make your university choices.
- When applying to university you will need to include a Personal Statement covering why you should be given a place on a course. If you’ve attended a taster session, you are in a better position to convey
- what it means to study that subject at university, and that you have shown extra commitment to it. Even
- if you come out of it realising that it’s not for you, it will help you figure out what is.
To attend Taster Sessions at City, University of London you should be predicted grades to what we would typically ask for in your chosen subjects. For dates and to apply onto one of our taster sessions visit our website.
By City, University of London